Friday, February 19, 2010

How would you answer these questions?

I talked with yet another friend last night who asked me why I believe that God exists. I've always known that I believe that, but nobody has ever asked me why. He proceeded to ask even more difficult questions than I've already mentioned in yesterday's post. If God is real, why is there so much evil on this earth? Why are there so many diseases, why are people getting raped, why does a baby's mother have to die at birth? The answer I had right on the spot was that it's a result of people's sin -- but that answer doesn't really apply to diseases or the dying mother, if you think about it. Thankfully, my friend didn't point that out. He asked how I know that God talks to me, whether it's something I know in my mind or feel in my heart. I told him a little bit about all the many different ways God can communicate -- through the Holy Spirit, through other people, through sermons, through songs, and sometimes even audibly.

My friends' main point was this -- if people put as much faith in each other as they put in God, the world would be a much better place. Of course, my counter-argument that the world would be a much better place if people expected LESS from each other didn't fly too well with him. He thought it's a bleak perspective on the world -- and I can understand. After all, if all life feels like is that God is constantly letting you down, where else would you want to put your faith other than other people? And why WOULDN'T you be disappointed when those people are taken away? In my mind, of course, it doesn't make sense to trust people more than I trust God. God has never, ever let me down. People have -- but I didn't expect them not to, and even if I have, God was there to heal and to restore my broken heart or mind, and to fill me with His supernatural joy and peace. God doesn't let people down, that's just not His character. That's why God is God. But how can you explain that to a person who's been through a life of pretty much nothing but pain?

A point that I've heard from two different people already is that no matter what people believe, their religion is just something that is there to help them get through the day, and that's fine because it works for them. The point, of course, seems to be there to make the person talking feel like they're tougher than the rest because they know that God doesn't exist and are realists in their outlook on the world rather than idealists. A little ironic considering the desire for people to have more faith in one another... But nevertheless valid in justifying being stronger than everyone else.

I guess my post today has no point really. I'm just trying to analyze that conversation further and gain some perspective. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

5 comments:

  1. When God was creating plants, animals, and planet earth he made it perfect. There was no sin no evil in creation. Then when sin came forth, everything was scared. Yes human beings are sinner BUT a bigger point is that ALL of creation is scared by sin. If you look at certian places such as the bahamas or bora bora they're beautiful. But not as beautiful as they where and will be again. Because of sin our bodies are scarred as well. That's why we need new resurrected bodies. So, sickeness and disease come from people's individual sin such as HIV/AIDS or any other STD and also because our bodies are scarred by sin.

    Does that at all help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm.. that's an interesting point that Alise is making..
    The sickness and death in the world is from sin:
    God creates all things perfect
    Man sins against God
    God sets sickness on people for their INITIAL bad deed
    Misbalance is created in the world
    Humanity is doomed without God's love
    Those who want God's Love - get God's Love.

    Something like that, eh?

    And one thing that came to mind when thinking about this topic is that not just humans are in sickness - animal life, nature, the whole earth are "sick." What do we say about that? Why did dinosaurs get wiped out? TOTALLY sidetracked there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The heart is deceitful above ALL things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

    Humanity's wickedness does not disprove God.

    Should a God not exist, we would not have any basis to say what is good or bad.

    Think about it, if there was no God, your friend cannot say that rape and murder are "bad."

    There would be no basis for any statement like that. The fact that he or she thinks something is bad is further evidence that an absolute Source that defines Good vs Bad exists.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed. In fact our human nature shows that we all yearn for relationship. We all want to love and be loved. Yet we are never happy nor satisfied because we either get dumped, left, someone dies, cheats etc. All of humanity since the beginning has been trying to find and embrace that relationship but as we found out, non of it lasts forever; that's the key. We everything is going beautifl and smooth what is our first reaction to all of it?"I wish it could last forever." everyone already knows that it won't last forever that's why they are all caught up in the moment. Reasons for believing 1. The undeniable historical evidence of Jesus Christ 2. Everyone knows they have sinned against God. Everyone had experienced shame and guilt especially behind close doors. Unexplainable without Jesus. We have choice to either follow God or be disobedient. Sin is building your life on anything but God. When you choose this path there is no longer love, one of Gods great characteristics but is hate,lies,deceit, and disobedience leading to ones demise. Just like Adam and Eve. Not sure if that answered your question. Let me know if you have any questions.

    ReplyDelete