Friday, October 30, 2009

R-71 -- You signed for it to go on the ballot. Now VOTE!!!

Ever since I got my ballot in the mail I've been a little afraid. Churches had a mass-movement to sign the petition to put Senate bill 5688 on the ballot. And people signed R-71 en masse. But I don't think everyone was aware of what exactly they were signing -- I wasn't at first. The Referendum only accomplished putting this bill on the voting ballot by getting enough signatures. It did not change any decisions that have been made. In order to make the bill pass or not pass people now need to vote - on, or before November 3, 2009.

If you are a registered voter, please don't forget to exercise your rights this November! If going to a voting location is too much trouble, you can request an absentee ballot from http://www.piercecountywa.org/pc/abtus/ourorg/aud/elections/voterservices/vbmrequest.htm. (The form takes about ten seconds to fill out!) If you don't receive your ballot in time for Pierce, you can go and vote at a polling location. Find the list by clicking on "Polling Places" on http://www.piercecountywa.org/pc/abtus/ourorg/aud/elections/main.htm. King County votes entirely by mail now.

I received this blog post in an e-mail this morning -- extremely timely. I am re-posting it, as it gives a perspective of both sides. (Read the comments.) All I will say about it is that I wish the first one-word comment was not there. I do not endorse it or agree with it, and am reluctant to put a link to that in my post. But the rest of the stuff is pretty good and is worth reading, so please do. And then please vote.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/oct/25/persecuted-should-know-better/#comments

1 comment: