Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Encouraging Your Leaders

I was utterly shocked to hear that pastor Mark Driscoll actually read my blog. That's exciting, unexpected, surprising, revolutionary...  But most of all, it's a revelation. Because the only reason he even knows about it is because I wrote him a message on facebook thanking him for inspiring me to start it. Which I would've never done, if my mom didn't prompt me by saying "You should let him know. Leaders always need encouragement."

To say that Pastor Mark is phenomenal would be a great understatement. But this situation made me realize that even phenomenal people might not realize that others think this way about them. (Who knew important Pastor Mark actually reads what people write on his facebook?) What they need is for us to let them know! The bible urges us to pray for our leaders. That would be everyone at work, church, and running the country/state/city. I would like to urge you to also let them know that you are praying for them, and that you think they're doing a great job.

Think you're not significant enough for your opinion to matter? You are wrong. A few words of encouragement can mean a day of effectiveness and productivity vs. a day of sulkiness and depression. The point is, that it doesn't take long to say or write a genuine note of thanks to a person, letting them know they've inspired you in some way, or simply that they're doing a good job. For them, it means the world.

Having been in ministry for a long time, I know how much words can mean. Too often, especially in Christian circles, we take all the time in the world to criticize someone else's work. Too seldom, we take a moment to encourage them. Too often, a minister or worker dedicates their life to a service in church going off nothing but the promise that God gave them that He will be with them at all times. But how much easier and more energetic would those people be if they had no doubt in their mind that someone needs the work they do!

I can't count the times I've been in tears because of certain situations touching my ministry. When it was regarding a kids group that I was blessed to work with for 2 years, what got me through is a collection of drawings that I've accumulated from those girls, letting me know that they love me and that I'm part of their life. Unfortunately, I had no similar collection to help me in any ministry involving grown-ups, which might be the reason why I was very eager to let it go when God released me from it.

Think of someone you respect and whose work you value in church, work, or any other area of life. Realize that they don't know that it means something to you. Let them know.

No comments:

Post a Comment